REGIONAL PR COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
Shelter For Life International (SFL) is an international faith-based relief and development organization with over 30 years’ experience in providing sustainable development and humanitarian assistance to post conflict countries around the world. We are currently operational in Afghanistan, Liberia, and Senegal, with Headquarters located in Minnetonka, MN. Our mission is to Demonstrate God’s love by enabling people affected by conflict and disaster to restore their lives and rebuild their communities. To learn more about us, please head to www.shelter.org
Under USDA/FAS Food For Progress (FFPr), SFL is implementing a six year program in Senegal, The Gambia, and Guinea-Bissau with a goal to develop and upgrade value chain linkages necessary to support an integrated regional trade network for the cashew value chain. The “Linking Infrastructure, Finance, and Farms To Cashew” (LIFFT-Cashew) program is working to create durable trade infrastructure, increase access to financial services, organize and train smallholder farmers to increase production and bargaining power, and build the capacity of local processors to add value to kernels in the cashew production zone of West Africa. As a result, the program will benefit smallholder farmers, a range of processors, and a variety of other businesses associated with the cashew value chain.
We are currently seeking a Regional Public Relations (PR) Communications Officer with significant experience in communications and public relations to promote the LIFFT-Cashew project to external audiences who will report to our Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP). The Communications Officer will support our internal and external communications strategy, write and disseminate publicity materials and press releases, will respond to inquiries from the public and media, and coordinate promotional events as well as, create promotional materials. This is a hands-on position for a highly skilled communications professional.
Duties and Responsabilities
- Develop and implement an effective communications strategy based on the LIFFT-Cashew project’s target audience in close collaboration with management;
- Write, edit, and distribute content, including publications, press releases, website and social media content, monthly, annual and semi-annual reports, speeches, success stories and other marketing material that communicates the project’s activities, components, products and/or services;
- Develop and update content for the LIFFT-Cashew and SFL websites and lead social media campaigns, project brochures such as success stories, updates on the project, knowledge products and lessons learned;
- Respond to media inquiries, arrange interviews, and act as a spokesperson for the project;
- Establish and maintain effective partnerships with journalists, radios, televisions and maintain a media database;
- Seek opportunities to enhance the reputation of the project and coordinate publicity events as required;
- Maintain records of media coverage and collate analytics and metrics;
These essential functions are not to be interpreted as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related duties as required. All work responsibilities are subject to having performance goals and/or targets established.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism, or related field;· Minimum of 2 – 5 years’ relevant experience in a communications role;· Knowledge of desktop publishing software (InDesign/Photoshop);
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills;
- Good time management and organizational skills;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, content management systems, and social media platforms;
- Self-motivated and creative;
- Responds well under pressure with strict time limit
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and French required.
- Experience with Squarespace;· Graduate degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism, or related field;· 2+ years of experience in a humanitarian organization, including one year of international experience;
- Fluency in Portuguese, preferential.
This position is only open for Guinea-Bissau, Senegal and Gambia nationals.
SFL is interested in candidates whose professional ethics, values and determination to achieve impact are evident and aligned with organizational priorities.
- A minimum of 12+ months commitment to live and work in Ziguinchor, Senegal is required;
- Is comfortable with frequent travel, particularly within the SeGaBi region.
NB: The Position is based in the main project office in Ziguinchor (Senegal) and will focus on the following areas of responsibilities:
Please send your CV/resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with the subject line: “Regional PR Communications Officer”. Applications must be in English. Please include your name in the title of all attached documents. In your resume, the work experience should be presented chronologically and should contain sufficient details to enable the technical review team to evaluate the qualifications and experience. The CV/resume should include the name, telephone number, and email of at least two references who do not work for the candidate’s current employer.
Women’s applications are strongly encouraged.
Closing Date: March 12th, 2020